Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 12: Tuesday

Tuesday morning, we woke up to Brook having trouble breathing again. One of her nostrils was completely blocked by mucous. Her nose dries out and the mucous hardens and then she can barely breathe. It sounds like she is whistling through her nose and her breathing is very labored. I set to work with a towel soaked in hot water to try and soften it up. It helped a little bit, but her nose is getting to the point where it is so raw, that is is starting to crack a little bit inside her nostrils and bleed. For this reason, Brook is not too happy with us trying to clear up her nose.

I got her to eat a scrambled egg and she drank some water. Then I had to leave for work.

When I got home last night, after stopping at the vet to pick up liquid amoxycyline, and to Walmart to buy a humidifier and some ground beef, I found Dave sitting with Brook. Her nose was almost completely blocked up again and she looked very sad. We quickly set up the humidifier and I used the hot towel to try and relieve some of the mucous in her nose again. Once the humidifier started producing steam, it really helped to clear up her nose. She laid on the floor, and just let the steam go by her face. We moved her onto the futon so the steam would be more direct at her nose and face. It finally loosed up her mucous and I was able to gently use q-tips to clear out her nose.

I cooked up about a 1/4 pound of the ground beef, then as it cooled, cooked a scrambled egg. I also mixed in half a can of wet dog food (those small cans that are the size of cat food cans). She happily ate about 1/4 of the mixture I created.

I left it with her for a little while and came back about a half hour later and she ate a little bit more. I packaged up the rest into two containers so it would be easier to eat them up for the next meals.

1 comment:

  1. The Valley Fever meds are actually pretty inexpensive. I have some left over if you need them. I think at Frys they are a good price... also Costco

    ReplyDelete