Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 7

"People need to realize that they don't need a super-hero cape to make a difference in one animal's life...just a heart!"

I can't wait till next weekend when Brook is done taking antibiotics so she can meet our other dogs
(as long as her nose is cleared up). She has seen the cats and doesn't seem to care about them, so that is good :-) They also don't seem bothered by her, just curious.

My oldest dog, Snoopy (the 16 year old) can't figure out why I step over two baby gates and disappear a few times a day to a part of the house where she is not allowed. Even with her failing eye sight (cataracts) and failing hearing, she always seems to know that I have walked out of the room and follows me. I don't think she will mind having Brook around since Brook is so calm and quiet. I can't wait to post photos of all the dogs together :-)


Snoopy (in her younger years, 2003)

The two younger dogs, Ruby & Amy, are excited every time they see Brook through the baby gates. Amy is about 2 years old, by our best estimate, and Ruby is about 3. Ruby was a rescue from PACC in 2006...she was very thin and had to be on antibiotics for 3 months for tick fever, after she had been treated for a cold (aka kennel cough). We learned quite a bit about tick fever, and were very relieved after getting another blood test from our vet to find out that Ruby had completely fought of the disease. She will always be at risk for a relapse if she gets bitten by an infected tick or does not get enough nutrients, but we are not concerned about that since she lives inside and always gets dinner. To find out more about tick fever, follow this link: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/tick_fever.html. Ironically enough, this was the vet clinic where Ruby's foster dad had taken her 3 years ago to double check the diagnosis he had received from PACC.


Ruby (after Dave added a background)

Amy was a stray dog that we found in our old neighborhood two years ago August 14th (so 2007). It was early in the morning (before 6am) and Ruby and I were walking around the neighborhood. I believe it was a Monday, or Tuesday, and the previous Saturday night I had seen a dog running loose, but it was dark and very scared, and I was not about to chase it. Well, I truly believe it was the same dog that re-appeared that morning. She was still very scared, but at least I could see she was foaming at the mouth or anything, so I wasn't worried about approaching her. Ruby and I ended up sitting in the middle of the street and Amy crept very slowly towards us. As soon as we could reach her, I grabbed her by the collar and then noticed she was literally hopping with fleas. One of my neighbor's was outside, so I asked him to take Ruby so she wouldn't get the fleas too. Amy came home with me, a bit reluctantly, and she got a bath in the backyard to get rid of the fleas. I took her to my vet and she stayed there all day while they worked to track down the owner. Amy had a microchip, but it had not been registered. It is truly amazing to me how many people will pay for a microchip, or adopt a dog with a chip, and then not take a few minutes to make a toll free call, or go online, and register the chip FOR FREE.


Amy (playing with her "moo")

Oh well! Long story short, they finally got a call back from BARK (Baby Animal Rescue Koalition) who had found Amy and her two brothers as 3 week old puppies abandoned in a wash. They had adopted her the moment she was old enough to be spayed, but she didn't even have a rabies shot at that point. I was asked by the BARK volunteer what I was planning to do with the dog, to which I responded, "Not give her back to you because you couldn't find her a good home to begin with!" So that is how Ruby and then Amy joined our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment